Trauma

 

London Free Stock Photo - Public Domain Pictures


    "I found myself back in the sepulchral city resenting the sight of people hurrying through the streets to filch a little money from each other, to devour their infamous cookery, to gulp their unwholesome beer, to dream their insignificant and silly dreams. They trespassed upon my thoughts. They were intruders whose knowledge of life was to me an irritating presence, because I felt so sure they could not possibly know the things I knew." (Conrad 1052) 


    This excerpt takes place upon Milow's return to London from the Congo. During his time in Africa, he experienced many traumatizing events, such as the oppression of the Africans and an attack upon his steamboat in which his helmsman died at his feet. This journey left a deep impression upon him that lasted long after he had returned.     
    This passage reflects upon the interesting concept of trauma and its lasting effects. Things that once seemed normal are now completely foreign and even despised by Marlow. People performing ordinary actions such as eating and drinking, that should even bring comfort to him, are now described as "infamous" and "unwholesome." Comparing London to a sepulcher is also a sign of this. A sepulcher is a type of tomb in which a body is laid after death. By using this metaphor, Marlow is communicating that, like a sepulcher, London is pretty on the outside but contains something disturbing on the inside. London, once his home, is now viewed as a dark place with a shiny exterior. All of this paints a picture of a man so horrified by what he saw in the Congo that he will forever view life from a different lens and shows us that trauma can have permanent consequences.

Have you ever had an experience that has permanently changed your perspective?
Why do you think Marlow is so bothered by simple acts of other people?

Comments

  1. I have experienced things that have changed my perspective on many different aspects of my life. I think after going through such difficult things, it's hard to forget it and move on as normal. While time can heal eventually, big events, such as what Marlow witnessed and went through, can linger in their minds for many years, and possibly their whole life. Tough scenarios open your eyes, and I believe this happened to Marlow when he returned and saw how dark the world was and not just Congo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Marlow envies the London people and their simple lives because they did not have to experience the cruelty of the Congo as he did. He probably disliked seeing them enjoy life while he was suffering mentally. His tormented thoughts were provoked by the frequent sight of their fortunate circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven’t experienced something as extreme as Marlow, but I really think that strong experiences can change how we see normal life. Marlow is bothered because, after seeing real horror, the people around him seem fake and ignorant of how dark the world is in other places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all I'm so glad this passage stuck out to you just as much as it did to me. I have experienced something similar and that's why I also picked this passage because it was extremely relatable. He's bothered because he went to the Congo. He saw the disaster. And when he came back he had to come to the sudden realization that when his life changed and moved on, no one else's did.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment