Butterfly Effect
"That was memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But, it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day struck out of it, and think how different its course would have been. Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" (Dickens 58) - Pip, Great Expectations
Pip writes this after recollecting his first day visiting Miss Havisham. This day was very important to the course of the novel, as it is this visit that inspired Pip's dream of being a gentleman and where he met Estella. Without this, Pip's life would have turned out very differently.
The butterfly effect is a law of sorts stating that seemingly minuscule events can drastically change the outcome. It gets its name from the theory that the flapping of a butterfly's wings can eventually lead to a tornado. In a similar fashion, the seemingly small act of a visit to Miss Havisham changed the course of Pip's life forever. Without it, Pip would have never fallen for Estella or desired to become a gentleman, and both of these dictated many decisions he made throughout the novel. This concept is also true for us. Let us take from this passage that every moment in our lives could hold significance, no matter how big or small it may seem at first.
Has there ever been a time in your life when something that seemed small in the moment had a major impact later?
Why do you think Charles Dickens chose to add this passage to his novel?
I think Dickens added this passage in his novel to demonstrate that every event in Pip's life had an importance to his character growth. Also, that every detail in his novel has significance, urging the reader to pay attention to the text. I would also consider Pip's first encounter of Magwitch in the graveyard as a small occurrence that massively affected the story's plot.
ReplyDeleteI had many times in my life where I saw a big event happening in my life and when I think about how I ended up in that situation I realize that is because an insignificant conversation or action that led there. Dickens added this passage because it clearly captures this idea that makes the reader reflect about his own life, and authors always look for making the reader more engaged.
ReplyDeleteDickens is a brilliant writer and this passage from his novel proves just that. He sets the scene for the novel within these words. There has been many many small moments I look back on and realize that those snippets of my life, which seemed miniscule at the time, have molded and shaped me into the person I am today. I believe Dickens added this to his novel as a small foreshowing to the twists and turns Pip would eventually face, not only in his love life, but also in his journey to becoming a gentleman.
ReplyDeleteI love how you touched on how Pip's life changed drastically when he made a small action. The butterfly effect is an interesting idea that I believe to be true. I probably have made many small choices that impacted my life in ways I can't think of right now, but I'm sure it has happened.
ReplyDeleteI think Pip is perfect example of the phrase "everything happens for a reason." Even the smallest details in his life led to bigger things later on. I think the author's attention to detail in his storyline realy made the story good.
ReplyDelete