The Danger of First Impressions



                                                             File:Man and Woman Shaking Hands.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
    

   "How despicably I have acted!" she cried. -"I, who have prided myself on my discernment!-I, who have valued myself on my abilities! who have often disdained the generous candour of my sister, and gratified my vanity in useless or blamable mistrust!-How humiliating is this discovery!-Yet, how just a humiliation!-Had I been in love, I could not have been more wretchedly blind. But vanity, not love, has been my folly.-Pleased with the preference of one, and offended by the neglect of the other, on the very beginning of our acquaintance, I have courted prepossession and ignorance, and driven reason away, where either were concerned. Till this moment I never knew myself."
(Austen 154)

    This monologue from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice takes place shortly after Elizabeth has received Darcy's letter detailing his side of events that have contributed to her disdain towards him. This letter contains sufficient explanation for his part in separating Bingley and Jane as well as his actions regarding Wickham. 

    This passage has a few main take-aways. One is to listen to all perspectives on a story before taking sides. Throughout the book, Elizabeth has never asked of Darcy's defense for the allegations. She heard Wickhams side of the story and that is what she chose to believe without questioning. Another is to be humble. In this excerpt, Elizabeth condemns her arrogance when she says, "'I who have prided myself on my discernment!'" This confidence she has placed in an attribute incorrectly bestowed has opened her up to the most important theme of this passage: the danger of first impressions. Due to her overestimating her prudence, she gave too much credence to her initial perception of him. However, not only has she mistakenly labeled Darcy as a bad person, but she has allowed Wickham's apparent upstanding appearance to blind her to his real delinquent nature. This later comes back to bite her when Wickham runs off with her sister. From this, we can learn that when meeting new people, it is important to set aside our pride and prejudice in order to see people for who they really are. 

Do you think Elizabeth would have accepted Darcy's proposal if she knew his side of the story?
How do you think Elizabeth would have treated Wickham if she knew of his conduct before they met?
    

Comments

  1. I like your perspective of this passage, and I agree that first impressions shouldn't stop us from seeing the true character of people. I do believe Elizabeth would be more willing to accept his proposal had she known his perspective of the entire situation. I think it is harmful to only listen to one person's perspective because it can easily fog the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you touched on the fact that Elizabeth didn't see who Darcy truly was and is. Instead, she saw him as a bad person. She also saw Wickham in a different light than what was true. I think Elizabeth would be more likely to accept his proposal if she knew who he truly was and why he did what he did. You did a great job analyzing this passage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your analysis of Elizabeth's behavior and feelings when she realizes her mistake believing Darcy. I think Elizabeth would have accepted Darcy's proposal if she knew his background and his side of the story, or at list she would have been more open to him. And if she knew about Wikham's nature, she would have avoided him more and she wouldn't have believed his words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This analysis displays one of the major themes of the novel: first impressions. I think that Elizabeth's rejection of Darcy helped build Elizabeth's character by teaching her not to trust everything she hears. If Elizabeth knew the truth about Darcy, I think she would not accept him immediately, but eventually, she would after some thought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment