The Power of Nature
The Power of Nature
The Wye Valley (Country Life)
150 "If I should be where I no more can hear151 Thy voice, nor catch from thy wild eyes these gleams
152 Of past existence-wilt thou then forget
153 That on the banks of this delightful stream
154 We stood together; and that I, so long
155 A worshiper of Nature, hither came
156 Unwearied in that service: rather say
157 With warmer love-oh! with far deeper zeal
158 Of holier love. Nor wilt thou then forget,
159 That after many wanderings, many years
160 Of absence, these steep woods and lofty cliffs,
161 And this green pastoral landscape, were to me
162 More dear, both for themselves and thy sake!"
151 Thy voice, nor catch from thy wild eyes these gleams
152 Of past existence-wilt thou then forget
153 That on the banks of this delightful stream
154 We stood together; and that I, so long
155 A worshiper of Nature, hither came
156 Unwearied in that service: rather say
157 With warmer love-oh! with far deeper zeal
158 Of holier love. Nor wilt thou then forget,
159 That after many wanderings, many years
160 Of absence, these steep woods and lofty cliffs,
161 And this green pastoral landscape, were to me
162 More dear, both for themselves and thy sake!"
(Wordsworth lines 150-162)
This excerpt from the poem "Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey, On Revisiting the Banks of the Wye during a Tour. July 13, 1798" was written by William Wordsworth upon returning to the Wye valley five years after his initial visit. In these lines, he is speaking to his sister, who accompanies him on this visit.
This passage shows how immensely Wordsworth loved and treasured nature. Perhaps the most obvious indicator is when he calls himself a worshiper of it. Worship is not just praise or value, nor is it a simple act. Worship is a lifestyle. To use such a powerful word here indicates a life lived in honor and dedication to nature. We see this illustrated in lines 159-161, in which it is made clear to readers that this not an isolated instance, but spending time in nature is something he does frequently. Additionally, he shows his care for nature by capitalizing the word when it is used. This indicated that he believes nature not to be a concept, but a name. The name of something that can be equated to a person. Perhaps the most profound example of his love for nature, though, is the fact that it is how he wants to be remembered. Wordsworth was a very successful writer, but he values nature over his works. Instead of asking his sister if she will remember him for his accomplishments, he asks her if she will remember this special moment of them in nature. Wordsworth also states in lines 161 and 162 that his beautiful surroundings "...were to me / More dear, both themselves and thy sake!", further emphasizing this point.
From this, there are still questions that arise: Why was Wordsworth pondering death in this moment? How highly should we value nature? What caused him to view nature so highly? I will leave these answers up to you.
Great job Will! This is fantastic. I believe Wordsworth is pondering death because when you visit a place of your past, many emotions of old memories and things that have faded or passed away often arise. I believe personally that we should be grateful for nature because it is a glimpse into the glory of Heaven. I think he saw the beauty and majesty of nature and how everything was peaceful and tranquil and he decided to live his life according to those morals.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great analysis. I think nature is something to be well respected and honored because it is God's creation, however it should not be honored to the point that it replaces God himself. I believe Wordsworth elevated nature's status in his life due to its beauty and perfect design, however he gave more credit to the creation rather than the creator. He allowed nature to take God's role in his life, which is something christians should be very careful of.
ReplyDeleteI liked how you touched on the fact that worship isn't a thing you do every now and then, but it is a lifestyle and a constant act. I also liked the questions that you brought up. I think nature should be valued by us because it is something that God created, but I don't think that it should be honored more than God. You did a good job!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting Will, I chose the same lines as you but we wrote about very different concepts. This shows us that in poetry you can see a lot of different interpretations and great thoughts about the same stanza.
ReplyDeleteI think that Wordsworth talks about death as a sign of how deeply he loves nature because it made him so happy and spiritually filled that he dedicated his life to observing it, feeling it, and learning from it.
I like how you supported your points with evidence. Wordsworth thought about death at this moment because remembrance is an important part of life to him. He experienced nature's impact on his life and wants to be remembered by it. I think the reason he viewed nature so highly is because of its profound influence on his childhood, considering he grew up in the Lake District.
ReplyDelete